Sciencescape is a website that enables you to explore, follow, share and interact with published science throughout history, and as it happens.
The services offered by Sciencescape ("Sciencescape", or "Sciencescape.org", or "we") include the Sciencescape website (the "Sciencescape.org Website"), and any other features, content, or applications offered from time to time by Sciencescape in connection with the Sciencescape.org Website (collectively, the "Sciencescape Services").
We may modify this Agreement from time to time. You'll be notified of any changes to this Agreement and asked to review them and consent to the changes the next time you log in to the Sciencescape.org Website. When you consent by clicking "I Agree", you agree to be bound by those changes.
Sciencescape won't make any binding changes to this Agreement without you being notified and consenting as described above.
Sciencescape reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to reject, refuse to post or remove any posting (including private messages) by you, or to restrict, suspend, or terminate your access to all or any part of the Sciencescape Services at any time, for any or no reason, with or without prior notice, and without liability. Sciencescape expressly reserves the right to remove your profile and/or restrict, suspend, or terminate your access to any part of Sciencescape Services if Sciencescape determines, in its sole discretion, that you pose a threat to Sciencescape and/or its Users.
1. Eligibility. Use of and Membership in the Sciencescape Services is void where prohibited. By using the Sciencescape Services, you represent and warrant that (a) all registration information you submit is truthful and accurate; (b) you will maintain the accuracy of such information; (c) you are 13 years of age or older; (d) your use of the Sciencescape Services does not violate any applicable law or regulation. Your profile may be deleted and your Membership may be terminated without warning, if we believe that you are under 13 years of age or if we believe that registration information is not truthful or accurate; and (e) all associations you create between your Sciencescape profile and Author names and scholarly citations are truthful and accurate.
Your profile may be deleted and your Membership may be terminated without warning, if we believe that the associations between your profile and Author names or scholarly citations are not truthful or accurate.
2. Term. This Agreement remains in full force and effect while you use the Sciencescape Services or are a Member. You may terminate your Membership at any time, for any reason, by using the delete feature that is present in the profile options. Sciencescape may terminate your Membership at any time, without warning. Even after Membership is terminated, this Agreement will remain in effect.
3. Fees. You acknowledge that we reserve the right to charge for the Sciencescape Services and to change its fees from time to time in our discretion. If Sciencescape terminates your Membership because you have breached the Agreement, you shall not be entitled to the refund of any unused portion of subscription fees.
4. Password. When you sign up to become a Member, you will also be asked to choose a password. You are entirely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your password. You agree not to use the account, username, or password of another Member at any time or to disclose your password to any third party. You agree to notify Sciencescape immediately if you suspect any unauthorized use of your account or access to your password. You are solely responsible for any and all use of your account.
5. Non-commercial Use by Users. The Sciencescape Services are for the personal use of Members only and may not be used in connection with any commercial endeavors except those that are specifically endorsed or approved by Sciencescape. Illegal and/or unauthorized use of the Sciencescape Services, including collecting usernames and/or email addresses of Members by electronic or other means for the purpose of sending unsolicited email or unauthorized framing of or linking to the Sciencescape.org Website is prohibited. Commercial advertisements, affiliate links, and other forms of solicitation may be removed from Member profiles without notice and may result in termination of Membership privileges. Appropriate legal action will be taken for any illegal or unauthorized use of the Sciencescape Services.
6. Proprietary Rights in Content on Sciencescape.org. Sciencescape does not claim any ownership rights in the text, files, images, photos, papers, books, video, sounds, musical works, works of authorship, or any other materials (collectively, "Content") that you post to the Sciencescape Services. After posting your Content to the Sciencescape Services, you continue to retain all ownership rights in such Content, and you continue to have the right to use your Content in any way you choose. By displaying or publishing ("posting") any Content on or through the Sciencescape Services, you hereby grant to Sciencescape a limited license to use, modify, publicly perform, publicly display, reproduce, and distribute such Content solely on and through the Sciencescape Services. The license you grant to Sciencescape is non-exclusive (meaning you are free to license your Content to anyone else in addition to Sciencescape), fully-paid and royalty-free (meaning that Sciencescape is not required to pay you for the use on the Sciencescape Services of the Content that you post), sublicensable (so that Sciencescape is able to use its affiliates and subcontractors such as Internet content delivery networks to provide the Sciencescape Services), and worldwide (because the Internet and the Sciencescape Services are global in reach). This license will terminate at the time you remove your Content from the Sciencescape Services. The license does not grant Sciencescape the right to sell your Content, nor does the license grant Sciencescape the right to distribute your Content outside of the Sciencescape Services. You represent and warrant that: (i) you own the Content posted by you on or through the Sciencescape Services or otherwise have the right to grant the license set forth in this section, and (ii) the posting of your Content on or through the Sciencescape Services does not violate the privacy rights, publicity rights, copyrights, contract rights or any other rights of any person. You agree to pay for all royalties, fees, and any other monies owing any person by reason of any Content posted by you to or through the Sciencescape Services.
The Sciencescape Services contain Content of Sciencescape ("Sciencescape Content"). Sciencescape Content is protected by copyright, trademark, patent, trade secret and other laws, and Sciencescape owns and retains all rights in the Sciencescape Content and the Sciencescape Services. Sciencescape hereby grants you a limited, revocable, nonsublicensable license to reproduce and display the Sciencescape Content (excluding any software code) solely for your personal use in connection with viewing the Sciencescape.org Website and using the Sciencescape Services. The Sciencescape Services contain Content of Users and other Sciencescape licensors. Except for Content posted by you, you may not copy, modify, translate, publish, broadcast, transmit, distribute, perform, display, or sell any Content appearing on or through the Sciencescape Services.
7. Content Posted. Sciencescape may delete any Content that in the sole judgment of Sciencescape violates this Agreement or which may be offensive, illegal or violate the rights, harms, or threatens the safety of any person. Sciencescape assumes no responsibility for monitoring the Sciencescape Services for inappropriate Content or conduct. If at any time Sciencescape chooses, in its sole discretion, to monitor the Sciencescape Services, Sciencescape nonetheless assumes no responsibility for the Content, no obligation to modify or remove any inappropriate Content, and no responsibility for the conduct of the User submitting any such Content. You are solely responsible for the Content that you post on or through any of the Sciencescape Services, and any material or information that you transmit to other Members and for your interactions with other Users. Sciencescape does not endorse and has no control over the Content. Content is not necessarily reviewed by Sciencescape prior to posting and does not necessarily reflect the opinions or policies of Sciencescape. Sciencescape makes no warranties, express or implied, as to the Content or to the accuracy and reliability of the Content or any material or information that you transmit to other Members.
8. Content/Activity Prohibited. The following is a partial list of the kind of Content that is illegal or prohibited to post on or through the Sciencescape Services. Sciencescape reserves the right to investigate and take appropriate legal action against anyone who, in Sciencescape's sole discretion, violates this provision, including without limitation, removing the offending communication from the Sciencescape Services and terminating the Membership of such violators. Prohibited Content includes, but is not limited to Content that, in the sole discretion of Sciencescape:
- is patently offensive and promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual;
- harasses or advocates harassment of another person;
- exploits people in a sexual or violent manner;
- contains nudity, violence, or offensive subject matter or contains a link to an adult website;
- solicits personal information from anyone under 18;
- promotes information that you know is false or misleading or promotes illegal activities or conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory or libelous;
- promotes an illegal or unauthorized copy of another person's copyrighted work, such as providing pirated computer programs or links to them, or providing information to circumvent manufacture-installed copy-protect devices;
- involves the transmission of "junk mail," "chain letters," or unsolicited mass mailing, "spimming," or "spamming";
- furthers or promotes any criminal activity or enterprise or provides instructional information about illegal activities including, but not limited to making or buying illegal weapons, violating someone's privacy, or providing or creating computer viruses;
- solicits passwords or personal identifying information for commercial or unlawful purposes from other Users;
- involves commercial activities and/or sales without our prior written consent such as contests, sweepstakes, barter, advertising, or pyramid schemes;
- is unlawful, or promotes unlawful activity, or is content that a reasonable person could deem to be objectionable, offensive, indecent, pornographic, invasive of another's privacy, harassing, threatening, embarrassing, distressing, vulgar, hateful, racially or ethnically offensive, or otherwise inappropriate.
The following is a partial list of the kind of activity that is illegal or prohibited on the Sciencescape.org Website and through your use of the Sciencescape Services. Sciencescape reserves the right to investigate and take appropriate legal action against anyone who, in Sciencescape's sole discretion, violates this provision, including without limitation, reporting you to law enforcement authorities. Prohibited activity includes, but is not limited to:
- criminal or tortious activity, including child pornography, fraud, trafficking in obscene material, drug dealing, gambling, harassment, stalking, spamming, spimming, sending of viruses or other harmful files, copyright infringement, patent infringement, or theft of trade secrets;
- advertising to, or solicitation of, any Member to buy or sell any products or services through the Sciencescape Services;
- transmitting any chain letters or junk email to other Members;
- using any information obtained from the Sciencescape Services in order to contact, advertise to, solicit, or sell to any Member without their prior explicit consent;
- any automated use of the system, such as using scripts to add friends or send comments or messages;
- interfering with, disrupting, or creating an undue burden on the Sciencescape Services or the networks or services connected to the Sciencescape Services;
- attempting to impersonate another Member or person;
- using the account, username, or password of another Member at any time or disclosing your password to any third party or permitting any third party to access your account;
- selling or otherwise transferring your profile;
- using any information obtained from the Sciencescape Services in order to harass, abuse, or harm another person; or
- using the Sciencescape Services in a manner inconsistent with any and all applicable laws and regulations.
In order to protect our Members from advertising or solicitation, Sciencescape reserves the right to restrict the number of emails which a Member may send to other Members in any 24-hour period to a number which Sciencescape deems appropriate in its sole discretion.
9. Copyright Policy. You may not post, modify, distribute, or reproduce in any way any copyrighted material, trademarks, or other proprietary information belonging to others without obtaining the prior written consent of the owner of such proprietary rights. It is the policy of Sciencescape to terminate Membership privileges of any Member who repeatedly infringes the copyright rights of others upon receipt of proper notification to Sciencescape by the copyright owner or the copyright owner's legal agent. Without limiting the foregoing, if you believe that your work has been copied and posted on the Sciencescape Services in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please contact us at email@example.com, providing the following information: (i) a description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed; (ii) a description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on the Sciencescape Services; (iii) your address, telephone number, and email address; (iv) a written statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; and (v) a statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf.
10. Member Disputes. You are solely responsible for your interactions with other Sciencescape Members. Sciencescape reserves the right, but has no obligation, to monitor disputes between you and other Members.
12. Disclaimers. We try to keep the Sciencescape Services up, bug-free and secure, but you use it at your own risk. Sciencescape is not responsible for any incorrect or inaccurate Content posted on the Sciencescape.org Website or in connection with the Sciencescape Services, whether caused by Users of the Sciencescape Services or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Sciencescape Services. Profiles created and posted by Members on the Sciencescape.org Website may contain links to other websites. Sciencescape is not responsible for the Content, accuracy or opinions expressed on such websites, and such websites are in no way investigated, monitored or checked for accuracy or completeness by Sciencescape. Inclusion of any linked website on the Sciencescape Services does not imply approval or endorsement of the linked website by Sciencescape. When you access these third-party sites, you do so at your own risk. Sciencescape takes no responsibility for third party advertisements which are posted on this Sciencescape.org Website or through the Sciencescape Services, nor does it take any responsibility for the goods or services provided by its advertisers. Sciencescape is not responsible for the conduct, whether online or offline, of any User of the Sciencescape Services. Sciencescape assumes no responsibility for any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft or destruction or unauthorized access to, or alteration of, any User or Member communication. Sciencescape is not responsible for any problems or technical malfunction of any telephone network or lines, computer online systems, servers or providers, computer equipment, software, failure of any email or players due to technical problems or traffic congestion on the Internet or on any of the Sciencescape Services or combination thereof, including any injury or damage to Users or to any person's computer related to or resulting from participation or downloading materials in connection with the Sciencescape Services. Under no circumstances shall Sciencescape be responsible for any loss or damage, including personal injury or death, resulting from use of the Sciencescape Services, attendance at a Sciencescape event, from any Content posted on or through the Sciencescape Services, or from the conduct of any Users of the Sciencescape Services, whether online or offline. The Sciencescape Services are provided "AS-IS" and as available and Sciencescape expressly disclaims any warranty of fitness for a particular purpose or non-infringement. Sciencescape cannot guarantee and does not promise any specific results from use of the Sciencescape Services.
13. Limitation on Liability. In no event shall Sciencescape be liable to you or any third party for any indirect, consequential, exemplary, incidental, special or punitive damages, including lost profit damages arising from your use of the services, even if Sciencescape has been advised of the possibility of such damages. Notwithstanding anything to the contrary contained herein, Sciencescape's liability to you for any cause whatsoever and regardless of the form of the action, will at all times be limited to the amount paid, if any, by you to Sciencescape for the Sciencescape services during the term of membership.
14. Disputes. If there is any dispute about or involving the Sciencescape Services, you agree that the dispute shall be governed by the laws of the Province of Ontario, Canada, without regard to conflict of law provisions and you agree to exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue in the Provincial and federal courts of Canada located in the Province of Ontario. Either Sciencescape or you may demand that any dispute between Sciencescape and you about or involving the Sciencescape Services must be settled by arbitration utilizing the dispute resolution procedures of the Canadian Arbitration Association in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, provided that the foregoing shall not prevent Sciencescape from seeking injunctive relief in a court of competent jurisdiction.
15. Indemnity. You agree to indemnify and hold Sciencescape, its subsidiaries, and affiliates, and their respective officers, directors, agents, partners and employees, harmless from any loss, liability, claim, or demand, including reasonable attorneys' fees, made by any third party due to or arising out of your use of the Sciencescape Services in violation of this Agreement and/or arising from a breach of this Agreement and/or any breach of your representations and warranties set forth above and/or if any Content that you post on the Sciencescape.org Website or through the Sciencescape Services causes Sciencescape to be liable to another.
16. Other. This Agreement is accepted upon your use of the Sciencescape.org Website or any of the Sciencescape Services and is further affirmed by you becoming a Member. This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between you and Sciencescape regarding the use of the Sciencescape Services. The failure of Sciencescape to exercise or enforce any right or provision of this Agreement shall not operate as a waiver of such right or provision. The section titles in this Agreement are for convenience only and have no legal or contractual effect. This Agreement operates to the fullest extent permissible by law. If any provision of this Agreement is unlawful, void or unenforceable, that provision is deemed severable from this Agreement and does not affect the validity and enforceability of any remaining provisions.